How To Treat Dark Lips At Home
5. Use lemon, with care – People have long used lemon as a home remedy for skin lightening. Cut a slice of lemon and hold it to the lips for no longer than a minute, then rinse with warm water. Lemon may have some effect on exfoliating the skin because it contains citric acid.
This acid may help remove dead skin cells. However, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that lemon works to lighten dark lips. Also, because it is so acidic, lemon can irritate the skin. Make sure that the lips have no cuts or irritation before using lemon. Cosmetic treatments to lighten the skin include creams, chemical peels, and laser treatment.
These treatment options reduce the melanin in the skin or stop the skin from producing it. There is little evidence to suggest that skin lightening is safe or effective. Treatments can damage the skin, and any positive results may not last. Side effects include irritation, scarring, and nerve damage.
- Also, skin lightening creams can contain mercury, which the American Academy of Dermatology say can be damaging to health.
- The skin of the lips is thinner than that of many other parts of the body.
- The lips do not have sweat glands or the protection of hair, so they can dry out quickly.
- Dry skin on the lips can make them look duller than usual.
Regularly moisturizing and staying hydrated can help keep the lips healthy. The skin on the lips is very sensitive. It is vulnerable to the effects of sun, smoking, and the use of cosmetic products. Always wear sun protection on the lips, as well as on the face, to protect the lips from burning.
Taking makeup off at the end of the day can help protect the skin. Also, quitting smoking can help improve the appearance of skin as well as improve overall health. Lip color is natural and does not need treatment. Dark lips are not a sign of an underlying health problem unless the color has changed over time.
Keep the lips looking healthy by eating well, moisturizing, and staying hydrated. A person can also try some simple home remedies to gently exfoliate the lips and keep them moisturized.
- 1 How can I make my lips look brighter?
- 2 What colour should your lips be?
- 3 Why do I have dark red lips?
- 4 How long does dark lips take to heal?
- 5 Is dark lips genetic?
Why do lips turn dark?
Dark Lip Basics – Lips are only covered with three to five layers of cells, unlike most of the skin which is covered with about 16. This means that the thin skin of our lips is more vulnerable to damage such as darkness, dryness, dullness and discolouration. The outside part, where lipstick is applied, is called the vermillion.
- The vermillion doesn’t have the sweat or oil glands like the rest of our skin.
- The protective barriers are thin and hence our lips are more susceptible to pollution and UV damage.
- Lack of moisture leads to discoloured, dark, hyperpigmented lips due to excess melanin production.
- This happens due to various reasons including sun exposure, smoking, pregnancy, certain medication or other medical issues.
Less moisture also leads to dry lips. To combat dryness on lips, we suggest using, The lightweight formula is made with aloe vera that helps soothe and heal dry lips by locking in moisture. Read on to find out dark lips causes and remedies. We will also discuss how to lighten dark lips at home.
How can I make my lips look brighter?
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process, Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind. Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm? Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence? Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
We do the research so you can find trusted products for your health and wellness. Soft, full-looking lips may look nice, but keeping your lips hydrated and healthy is most important. If you’re like most people, though, your lips won’t look soft, pink, and plump without paying a little extra attention to the skin on your mouth.
Keep reading to learn 14 home remedies for hydrated, healthy lips. Before you head to bed at night, apply a good quality lip balm. After waking up, use a damp washcloth or a toothbrush to gently rub off any dead or dry skin. This will also boost circulation to the area. One of the most common causes of dry skin is not drinking enough water,
Getting eight glasses of water a day will benefit your body in lots of ways, and fuller-looking lips are an added benefit. If you have vitamin E capsules, you can simply cut one open and apply the product right to your lips. Vitamin E boosts circulation and may help generate new skin cells, making your lips softer.
- Shop for vitamin E capsules.
- You can purchase pure aloe vera gel or even crack a leaf from an aloe plant in your home for this remedy.
- Aloe vera has soothing and healing properties, helping lips to look their best.
- Shop for aloe vera products.
- Strawberries are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, which makes them a great ingredient for nourishing the skin on your lips.
Crushing up a strawberry and adding it to a honey and olive oil mixture is the basic recipe for this home remedy, Feel free to experiment with antioxidant-packed blueberry variations as well. Using a few drops of lemon juice, you can make your lips appear brighter and slough off dead skin.
Just rub the lemon juice on to your skin and watch your skin brighten up before your eyes. Make sure your lips aren’t cracked or super dry before you use this remedy, as it may sting and make things worse. It’s common knowledge that the skin on your face is subject to damaging sun exposure. But, one 2005 study found that of 299 people who applied sunscreen to their body correctly, only 37 percent also used lip protection.
Using daily SPF 15 or above, even on cloudy or cold days, helps slow the signs of aging. Your lips can become damaged by UV rays from sun exposure or even sunless tanning beds. Make sure you’re using a lip balm with an SPF ingredient, Reapplying sunscreen hourly to your lips will give you the best results.
Shop for lip balm with SPF. If you’re going after an even lip color that’s slightly more reddish than your skin tone, natural plant dyes are a good place to start. They also won’t irritate or dry out lips like heavy lipsticks. Raspberry juice or pomegranate juice applied directly to your lips can temporarily stain your lips a pinkish color.
Polluted air, smoke, and chemicals can prematurely age skin, making lips look dark or wrinkled. Habits like smoking can aggravate this effect and give your lip color a faded appearance. Avoiding cigarettes and secondhand smoke can improve the way your lips look.
- Wearing a scarf to cover lips may also protect them from overexposure.
- Sleeping in your makeup isn’t good for your skin, and your lips are no exception.
- Even if there’s no visible lipstick or product on your lips at the end of the day, give them a gentle swipe with a makeup-removing wipe before you hit the pillow.
Shop for makeup wipes. Using peppermint oil on your lips may boost circulation to the area. It also provides a cooling sensation that can soothe lips that feel dry. Mixing peppermint oil with a carrier oil, such as almond oil or coconut oil, makes for a luxurious DIY lip balm that you can reapply throughout the day.
Sold on peppermint oil? Buy it now. Even when you’re using lip color products that aim to minimize skin damage, it’s still a good idea to coat your lips with a primer to stop them from getting dried out before you put on lipstick. Use a cotton swab or lip brush to prime lips with coconut oil or almond oil.
Let it fully soak in before you perfect your pout with a swipe of your favorite lip stain. Shop for coconut oil products. Remember that different skin tones will look better with different lip colors. Don’t be discouraged if your lips don’t look exactly like your favorite celebrities or the product ads you see in magazines.
How do I stop my lips from getting black?
Here area a few measures to heal and prevent dark and chapped lips. – Use lemon juice Rub a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice on your lips before bedtime each night. (Photo: Thinkstock Images) Lemon juice can be extremely helpful in lightening the skin. Rub a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice on your lips before bed. Post waking up wash it with lukewarm water. Use a pomegranate lip scrub You can mix pomegranate with other fruit juices to create a natural lip stain. (Photo: Thinkstock Images) Pomegranates can help restore the natural colour of your lips. All you need to do is crush a tablespoon of pomegranate seeds and mix them with milk. Potatoes are best known best known for reducing darkness and the appearance of scars(Photo: Thinkstock Images) You can rub a freshly cut slice of potato on your lips before bedtime and wash it with lukewarm water next morning. The catecholase, a naturally occurring enzyme, in potatoes helps reduce darkness.
What colour should your lips be?
Lip Color: What’s Normal? – In scientific terms, “lips” refers to the entire structure that surrounds the oral aperture (which includes the mouth), but the part of the lips that we’re discussing here is called the “vermillion,” which can be identified as the “red part” of the lips.
How can I make my lips pink naturally and permanently at home?
4. Sugar – Step 1: In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of Sugar, 1 tablespoon of Lemon Juice and 1 drop of Honey. Step 2: Dip a cotton ball in the paste and apply this paste on your lips. Massage your lips with fingertips in circular motions for 5 minutes. Step 3: Wash off with water.
Why do I have dark red lips?
03 /7 Red lips – RED LIPS: Red lips mean your body is overheated. At a time like this, you will see the additional signs of bad breath and craving for snacks. According to experts, this means that you have a dysfunctional liver, which ends up releasing heat in the body.
Can Colgate make lips pink?
How to get pink lips with toothpaste and sugar — July 2023 Having pink and soft lips can be a major confidence booster and can make you look more attractive. But it can be hard to maintain soft and pink lips due to environmental factors such as extreme weather, sun exposure, and dehydration.
- If you are looking for a quick and easy way to get pink lips, then you’re in luck.
- Believe it or not, you can actually use toothpaste and sugar to create naturally pink lips.
- It’s a simple and affordable beauty trick that can give you a youthful, blush-like look.
- These homemade remedies are incomplete without the use of a toothbrush, as it stimulates the blood flow in the lips, that not only lightens your dark lips but also exfoliates the dead skin cells.
To help keep your lips looking their best, below is a simple trick that can help you get pink lips with toothpaste and sugar.
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Toothpaste
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Granulated Sugar
- A Mixing Bowl
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of each toothpaste and granulated sugar into a mixing bowl and mix them well.
- Once the mixture is ready, clean your lips with a gentle cleanser and warm water. This will help get rid of any dirt and bacteria that may have been collected on your lips.
- Rub the mixture all over the lips gently and continuously for a few seconds. Leave it for 1-2 minutes.
- Lightly brush your lips with it. The toothpaste and sugar combination will help to exfoliate your lips, removing any dead skin cells and revealing the new, pinker skin underneath.
- After brushing your lips for a few minutes, rinse your mouth out with water. You’ll want to make sure that all of the toothpaste and sugar has been washed away, as it can be quite drying and irritating to the lips.
- Once your lips are clean and dry, you can finish off the process by applying a moisturizing lip balm or lipstick. This will help to protect the new pink layer of skin, and will also keep your lips looking and feeling their best.
Scrubbing your lips not only removes the dead skin to reveal new skin beneath, it increases circulation to bring more color to your lips. Red, inflamed, or dry lips may occur as a result of an allergic reaction to ingredients present in cosmetics and oral hygiene products.
- Some possible irritants include: lipsticks. leather.
- The answer is that, besides cleaning your teeth, it can also make your lips pink or Red, But the use of toothpaste alone can only give you temporary pink lips.
- Final words By following these steps, you can easily get pink and soft lips with the help of toothpaste and sugar.
This natural remedy is gentle on the skin and can help to exfoliate and nourish your lips. However, it is important to note that this remedy should not be used as a substitute for professional lip care. If you have any concerns about your lips, it is important to speak to a dermatologist or other qualified health care professional.
- Regular lip care is necessary to help maintain soft and pink lips and to prevent any long-term damage to them.
- When it comes to tech, very few ladies are involved and this is something I would want to change.
- I am fascinated by the Internet of Things and blockchain technology.
- Currently, I am studying Civil Engineering at KNUST.
: How to get pink lips with toothpaste and sugar — July 2023
How long does dark lips take to heal?
How Long Does the Lip Neutralization Healing Process Last? Healing Process is similar to Lip Blush Healing Process, the initial visible healing stage will last about 1-2 weeks. Aftercare directly impacts the appearance of your lips after the healing process.
Is dark lips genetic?
Dark Lips : Causes & Remedies Black doesn’t always mean the literal color “black”, It is also synonymous with something that has turned cold and become lifeless! Anything if not taken care of, becomes dull, pale, and dark! Lips are one such delicate parts of our body that cannot moisturize itself, and a generic lip balm does not suffice to provide it with the ultimate care.
- Here is the key difference between Hyperpigmentation and Skin of color:
- Apart from that, these reasons are majorly responsible for dark lips:
- 1. Sun Exposure
UV rays are one of the biggest factors responsible for making lips pigmented and dark! Sun sucks the life out of our lips and makes them lose their natural texture and shine! Remedies/ Suggestions- You can start wearing a Lip SPF along with your daily sunscreen.
You will be able to witness a huge change in your lip texture and color! 2. Lip Licking and Biting When you lick your lips, Saliva touches the skin of your lips and makes their condition worse! It contains enzymes that are harmful to your lip skin! When you peel out your lip skin, your lips get exposed to sensitivity and dryness! The more you bite, the more chaps will appear, and the more will be the urge to bite them again, and there it will begin a vicious cycle! Remedies/ Suggestions- Start resisting the urge to lick, and find distractions, if you are addicted to lip licking and biting try out meditation and therapy! You can also start by keeping yourself busy and occupied! You may also try chewing a pack of gum instead of your lips! 3.
Diet and Dehydration Your body needs to be internally hydrated then only it will feel moisturized from the outside! Extremely Salty and Spicy edibles can make lips dry and prone to pigmentation! What you intake can make a lot of difference in your lip and skin care journey!
- Remedies/ Suggestions- Make Healthy Food your Best Friend, Cut off on extremely salty and spicy munchies, and Have a Balanced diet with all the vitamins and minerals!
- Make sure you drink plenty of water every day!
- 4. Allergies
Allergies are the most common reason for dark lips! Lip lick dermatitis, Atopic dermatitis, Melasma, and Allergies to a specific product or ingredient might cause black lips! Remedies/ Suggestions- Always do a patch test! With lips, it becomes difficult to do a patch test but you can do it by applying a thin layer of the product once and leaving it to see if there are any reactions or not! Check ingredients and consult a doctor if you encounter any serious lip irritation or bleeding! 5.
- Check if you take any medications which cause dark, dry, and chapped lips as a side effect!
- 6. Expired or Unsuitable Products
- Applying Expired products can lead to reactions on your lips because they contain chemicals and preservatives that might change their composition after a certain time!
- Remedies/ Suggestions-
Always use products that have a shelf life left of at least a year or two! Check your vanity and throw away expired products even if they look and smell just fine! Fragrance and appearance are not a judge of efficacy! 7. Unsuitable Products and Makeup Using products that are meant for your face on your lips can dry them out and make their condition much worse! Lip skin is far more delicate and thinner than the rest of your body! If body care products are not recommended on your face, the face being more sensitive than the body, the degree of damage caused to the lip barrier by using face washes or body washes can be drastic, in turn causing dark, dry, and chapped lips! Matte Lipsticks are responsible for dryness and pigmented lips! Not washing lipstick can also add to the list of black sheep! Remedies/ Suggestions- There are plenty of lip care products available in the market, there are brands that are specialized in the lip care genre and make lip care essentials catering to any and every lip care need! Try them out and start following a regime for effective results! 8.
Does lemon remove dark lips?
Healthy pink lips add extra charm to a person’s face. These naturally appealing lips don’t need regular application of lips balms or lipsticks to look luscious and healthy. But several factors like the suns UV rays, smoking, caffeine and age can affect our lips and darken them.
Luckily, there are several natural solutions to lighten darker lips. Here is a list of natural home remedies that can lighten dark lips,’ Honey : Honey is an amazing natural ingredient, which can be used to treat dark lips. It not only lightens your lips but also makes them soft. Apply honey on your lips and leave it on overnight, everyday.
Continue this practice for a couple of weeks and you will notice a change in your lip colour. Lemon juice : Lemon is known to be a bleaching agent and it acts as an effective remedy to treat dark lips. Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice to your lips and massage them gently.
Follow this ritual every night before bed. Sugar scrub: Sugar works as an excellent scrub to exfoliate lips and also helps get rid of unwanted dead skin. Take three spoons of sugar and mix it with two spoons of butter to make a thick paste. Use this mixture on your lips to exfoliate them. The added butter moisturises your lips.
Like your skin, your lips also need to be exfoliated regularly. Try this scrub two or three times a week for lighter lips. Beetroot: This deep purple ingredient helps cleanse and lighten lips. Beetroot juice has natural agents, which lighten lips. Use its juice on your lips for effective results.
Ice cubes: This simple method of rubbing ice cubes over your lips will help them remain moisturised and fresh as ice cubes not only hydrate your lips but also make them plump. Milk cream: Try milk cream (malai) with a bit of saffron and apply this mixture to your lips. This is an age old remedy for treating dark lips.
Continue this ritual several times a day and at night for effective results. Read more Personal Health, Diet & Fitness stories on www.healthmeup.com