Tonsil Pain Home Remedies
Home Remedies for Tonsil Infections
- Drinking warm liquids. Soup, broth and tea will all help coat and soothe a sore throat.
- Eating cold foods.
- Avoiding hard foods.
- Gargling with saltwater.
- Using a humidifier.
- Resting the voice.
- Getting plenty of rest.
- Using over-the-counter pain relievers.
What triggers tonsils pain?
Most cases of tonsillitis are caused by a viral infection, such as the viruses that cause the common cold or flu virus (influenza). Some cases can also be caused by a bacterial infection, typically a strain of bacteria called group A streptococcus bacteria.
How long does tonsil pain last?
What can I expect if I have tonsillitis? – Most cases of viral tonsillitis clear up in a few days with fluids and plenty of rest. Antibiotics usually eliminate bacterial tonsillitis (strep throat) in about 10 days. Tonsillitis usually doesn’t cause any serious or lasting health problems.
What makes tonsillitis heal faster?
How to treat tonsillitis yourself – Tonsillitis usually gets better on its own after a few days. To help treat the symptoms:
- get plenty of rest
- drink cool drinks to soothe the throat
- take paracetamol or ibuprofen (do not give aspirin to children under 16)
- gargle with warm salty water (children should not try this)
How to gargle with salty water
- Mix half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and stir until it has dissolved.
- Gargle with the salty water (do not swallow it), then spit it out.
- Repeat as often as you like.
Young children should not gargle with salty water.
Will tonsillitis go away on its own?
Most of the time tonsillitis caused by either viral or bacterial infections will eventually resolve on its own. But if a bacterial infection is to blame, antibiotics help clear up symptoms faster and prevent complications, Rowan says.
How do you sleep with tonsillitis?
Sleeping on an incline can help you breathe easier and help clear mucus, which drip down the back of your throat and cause irritation. Rather than propping yourself up by using pillows, raise the head of your bed.
What is best medicine for tonsil?
Antibiotics – If tonsillitis is caused by a bacterial infection, your doctor will prescribe a course of antibiotics. Penicillin taken by mouth for 10 days is the most common antibiotic treatment prescribed for tonsillitis caused by group A streptococcus.
- If your child is allergic to penicillin, your doctor will prescribe an alternative antibiotic.
- Your child must take the full course of antibiotics as prescribed even if the symptoms go away completely.
- Failure to take all of the medication as directed may result in the infection worsening or spreading to other parts of the body.
Not completing the full course of antibiotics can, in particular, increase your child’s risk of rheumatic fever and serious kidney inflammation. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about what to do if you forget to give your child a dose.
Does drinking lots of water get rid of tonsillitis?
Tonsillitis caused by viruses typically resolve within 7 to 10 days after rest and plenty of fluids.